THE BEGINNING
The small town of Benld, founded in 1904, was populated mainly by
immigrants, many of whom were of Italian and Slavic descent, who settled in Benld to work in the area coal mines. The Catholics among them, loyal to their faith, worshipped in the homes of individuals or hitched up their buggies to get to Gillespie, until Reverend John Crosson, pastor of Ss. Simon & Jude in Gillespie, made the dream of having their own church a reality. In April 1915, Father Crosson was given permission by the Right Reverend James Ryan, Bishop of the Diocese in Alton to erect a church in Benld, On October 17, 1915,
in a ceremony officiated by Father Deval of Staunton, representing Bishop Ryan, the cornerstone for the new church was laid and
St. Joseph’s Church was born. Four lots were purchased on West Central Avenue and the building of the church began.